Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Día de la Mujer

After our Pica Pica fight all the ladies/girls of NPH headed to the comedor for a presentation for “Dia de la Mujer” aka International Women’s Day. Personally, I feel like it’s a little strange to celebrate being a woman, and to also have men celebrate the fact that we are women. We were made to stand in front of the comedor while men shouted:

“Thank you for being a woman.”

“Thank you for all that you have done as a woman.”

Is that not strange? And if THAT weren’t enough…the religious teacher here at NPH, Franklin, then got up to say a few words where he talked about how powerful and strong women are and how they deserve the same rights as everyone else….aka the other half of the population. IN ADDITION, he talked about how amazing women can be…and I quote… “just like they were in New York City when they marched through the city and gained the right to vote.” I’m sorry – would we have NEEDED to march on NYC if men had just given us the right to vote in the first place? Really I feel like this holiday is just used by men to say “sorry for all that crap we did in the past – but look how far you’ve come now!” It was by far one of the weirdest holidays I’ve ever been forced to celebrate (nice, sure… maybe… but DEFINITELY strange)…and I promise after this post I’ll keep my feminist views far away from my blog :).

No comments:

Post a Comment