Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Freaking Out/Going Home

These last few weeks have been rough. Actually, incredibly rough. Between my hellish classes, not having ANY respect from my younger students, the lack of tias in my section with the crazzzyyyy amount of girls in my section, and the bureaucratic changes happening at NPHG…it’s been a reaaaalllly hard few weeks. Since I’ve been back I’ve been feeling overwhelmed about so many aspects of my life here…in addition to trying to plan a wedding…

Ok, so I’ll be the first to admit. I have NOT done much planning since coming back to Guatemala. In fact, very little. It’s true – I DO have a never ending supply of wedding magazines here at my disposal (thanks Eleanor!) buttttt with the wedding approximately 19 months away (but who’s counting…) and me STILL living in a foreign country, it’s been a bit hard to plan anything at all. Instead, my WONDERFUL PARENTS have AMAZINGLY taken on the task of scouting out venues for the two of us. What started out as “oh it’s so far away” QUICKLY turned into….HOLY CRAP THESE PLACES ARE ALREADY BOOKED THROUGH OCTOBER OF NEXT YEAR. After going to 5 venues, my mom, dad, and Jon realized that there was a distinct possibility that I would NOT be able to be a part of the selection process of the location for my own wedding! QUE MALA SUERTE! So, after a few days of homesickness and freak-outs about my lack of decision making power on this, you can be SURE that I was indescribably happy when I received an email from my dad with this line included:
“I am concerned that the dates you are interested in will not be available when you get home in August. I even suggested to mom (a little bit joking and little bit serious) that we should fly you home so you could look at these venues NOW.”

Needless to say I JUMPED on the opportunity to go back to the states…even if just for a weekend. The email came at the perfect time – my patience was wearing thin and my motivations were quickly diminishing. Now, with a flight already booked to go back to NY, my happiness has increased a BILLION fold and my energy and love of Guatemala has returned…ok, well, maybe not returned per se, but it’s getting there… I will officially be in the states in T-8 days and I could NOT be more excited – not only to be back in the states with my family and Jon and delicious food but also to start the loooonnnnggggg process that will be our wedding :)… My parents have already looked at 17 venues with 3 more to go - I just hope that all the venues aren’t completely booked by the time I get home…Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment