Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Projects in April

I can’t believe another month of projects has already gone by so quickly…and I must say that these projects were sooooooooo much more awesome than usual :).

The first project of the month was with five brothers ranging in age from 7 year old twins to a 15 year old including: Samuel, Wilmer, Rudy, Ever, and Luis. Bridget and I did the project together and the boys told us they wanted to make pizza and watch a movie. On Thursday, Bridget and I gathered all the supplies and headed up to the English room to make our delicious dish. After spending roughly 5 minutes with them, I looked at Bridget and said “Oh LORD I do NOT want to have 5 boys!”

The boys preparing the pizza

It wasn’t that they were bad – in fact they were REALLY good kids and they worked incredibly well together…it was more just…that they were 5 boys! They were FULL of energy, REALLY excited about being together and REALLY excited about project…and really that’s all you can hope for. So! We made the delicious pizza (and Rudy proceeded to DOUSE the pan with butter…I will definitely say that it was the first pizza I have ever made that did NOT stick to the pan even one little bit…) and then watched “Despicable Me” (a new Pixar movie). The boys were really great and it was an all around excellent project :).

Rudy's buttered pan...

Preparing...

How adorable! Luis, Wilmer, Rudy, Ever, Samuel

Saturday’s project can only be summed up in a few words:

Me + 2 babies + sidewalk chalk + brownies = BEST. PROJECT. EVER.

Saturday I had project with Auri and Fredy – two of the most ADORABLE babies in the baby’s house. How did I end up with TWO baby projects in the past two months you ask? Well, Meghan, the volunteer in charge of assigning projects, noticed that I’d been a bit down lately, and in her effort to be a wonderful friend, she did what she could to cheer me up – and WOW did it work!

On Thursday I went down to the baby’s house to ask them what they wanted to do. The response?

Auri: DANCE!
Fredy: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!
(Have I mentioned that I love babies?)

So, on Saturday I went down to the baby’s house to pick up Auri and Fredy…but unfortunately Fredy was not having any of it. He just wanted to stay with Evelyn, a girl from Bachillerato who had come to help out with the baby’s section over the weekend. Being a little desperate to have a successful baby project, I asked Evelyn if she would join us for a bit…at least to walk up to the English Department. She was soooooooo wonderful and came up with us and even started drawing with sidewalk chalk before she had to leave to go to her own project.

Fredy and Auri drawing with Evelyn

Chalk!

Anyhoo, the babies and I continued to draw with sidewalk chalk and listen to music (and dance) for a loooonnngggg time. We traced ourselves on the ground, drew our hands and cars and flowers and people…and then the two of them got bored with that…and instead, started coloring THEMSELVES with all the different colors of chalk. At first I was kind of appalled. Then I realized how incredibly awesome it was and just sat there laughing hysterically as they covered themselves from head to toe and enjoyed every minute of it :).

Beginning to decorate themselves...

Look at how proud Auri is of herself!

One of Fredy's shoes...

The ONLY way I got them to stop drawing on themselves was to tell them that we could have chocolate! I brought them down to my house and IMMEDIATELY took them out back to the pila, to clean them up even the slightest bit. I got off most of the chalk from their bodies but there wasn’t really any helping their clothing without completely soaking them, so I left that for the tias…(Sorry Tia Aracely!) Back in the house we made chocolate brownies (they even added all of the ingredients themselves!) While we waited for the brownies to cook Auri and Fredy colored pictures and made “boats” out of paper. We then ate our delicious chocolate brownies and headed back to the babies house :).

Making our brownies!

So adorable :)

I hope next month’s projects can compare!

2 comments: