Saturday, September 4, 2010

Día del Artista

Friday we had yet another fun day :) I swear I really work my butt off here, despite what my pictures and fun stories of days off might reveal! Anyhoo! Friday was the Día del Artista aka the Art and Music Festival of NPH for those of you from Northport. Picture this: tons of student’s artwork, BEAUTIFUL pieces being sold from all of the talleres – paintings and sculptures created in art classes, candelabras and benches from the herrerria, hair ties and earrings from the belleza, cabinets and decorative cutting boards from the carpinteria, purses, skirts, and dresses from the sastreria, and the most delicious homemade pizzas and cinnamon buns, not to mention most ADORABLE bread alligators, sapos (frogs) and pigs you’ve ever seen from the panaderia. (pictures to come soon) PRECIOUS.

The day started out like any normal festivities here at NPH: LONG introductions followed by a talent show, band performances, and snacks. Unfortunately I was in charge of the refaccion (snacks) for the day along with a few of the other volunteers. We showed up at 9 ready for action…and proceeded to cut approximately 20 cakes into roughly 1,500 pieces. I wish I was kidding. After all that, we were given a well deserved break to shop around to our hearts content and to purchase the kids’ creations. Man was I glad I had 20Q in my pocket! I started with a trip to the jewelry table (because everyone knows I need more jewelry than I already have…) I left with a new pair of earrings and with another volunteer, Leeah, ready to take on the panaderia table. After scarfing down the most delicious cinnamon but I think I’ve ever had, Leeah and I split a personal pizza. One of the best decisions I’ve made since being here…although buying 2 of them would have been a better decision I suppose…

Next it was back to the kitchen to hand out refa…and boy was that interesting. Approximately 300 kids lining up to receive snack once…or twice…or a few more times…not to mention the teachers, staff, tios, and office faculty. Let’s just say it was a long two hours before I was finally free to enjoy the rest of the día, but overall a fun and productive day :).

No comments:

Post a Comment