Thursday, September 23, 2010

Multiplication Tables

All week my girls have been studying for their end of the year exams – tests they have in EVERY class that they’re in. Some of my girls were having particular trouble with their multiplication table…and that’s where I came in with a few tricks up my sleeve…

I’m not quite sure exactly where I learned this trick for remembering the 9 times table but I think it might have had something to do with Mrs. Cox in the third grade… If you’re trying to multiply 9 times another number you can use your fingers to figure it out. Put your hands out in front of you, palms towards you, and think of the number you want to multiply by 9…say 3X9 – put down your third finger…the number of fingers to the left of the finger that’s down is the tens column, to the right is the ones column…and it works for the 9 times table up until 10 – imagine that!

I’m pretty sure that my rapid knowledge of my times tables has made me a pretty “cool kid” in my section :).

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget that every number on the 9 times table has its inverse, up until 9X11:

    9X1=9 9X10=90
    9X2=18 9X9=81
    9X3=27 9X8=72
    9X4=36 9X7=63
    9X5=45 9X6=54

    ReplyDelete