Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Celebrating the 4th of July…or err…the 5th of August :)

So last week I bought all the fixings to make an apple pie for my oldest class of students. One of their previous teachers decided to teach about cultural differences by celebrating American holidays with class parties. Since I arrived in Guatemala on July 4th, I decided August 4th would be a good day to learn about Independence Day, listen to some good ole American classics, and eat some Apple pie. I mean, what’s more American than that?? Unfortunately, about half of my class had band during my class on August 4th, and so our celebration was moved to the 5th. Oh well – same idea :)

On Wednesday night (August 4th) 5 of my students, myself, Michael, and Ruth all gathered in the English room to make an apple pie. What ensued was a LOT of hilarity, a LOT of random picture taking, as well as “Thriller” and “Single Ladies” viewings. EXCELLENT.


Me and Lidia making the apple pie!


Ruth, Michael, and Alex helping out in the English department


MMM APPLE PIE

In class, I gave the kids a presentation on the importance of the 4th of July in the US and then we enjoyed some wonderful apple pie – overall a pretty wonderful experience :).


Tacuch greatly enjoying some awesome American tunes and apple pie with Ever smiling along


All of the kids in my Basico Tercero class (aka 9th grade) Jaime, Edwin, Jenny, Tacuch, Elmer, Deisy, Alex, Ever, (then in front…) Feren, and Lidia

No comments:

Post a Comment