Thursday, December 2, 2010

A "less than happy" fiesta

Last night in my section we had somewhat of a little party - ice cream, cookies, a gingerbread house(!), and Hillary Duff's "A Cinderella Story." All of that would have made for a wonderful night if not for the reason behind it...

The children's sections here at NPH are based on a few different things: age, grade level, maturity level, attitude, and behavior. Obviously these are things that change with time. So, every year in November, all of the kids' sections change. Not a lot, just a little, but it's enough to make you sad.

Last night we had a mini-party to celebrate our section as it was, and to say goodbye to 4 of our little girls as they move up to an older section, Fatima. I didn't really know how I was going to react to the change...until Tia Fruc called their names...Mariela, Lourdes, Teresa, and Enma. Four of my favorite girls in my whole section.


Teresa in the comedor


Lourdes during Senorita NPH


Enma "hanging out" in the section


Mariela coloring cards for La Navidad

She announced their names and how she expected them to behave in their new section, and in school, and with their new housemates in Fatima, and then began to cry. And so I began to cry. And Janna. And the girls. It's true, they aren't really going anywhere...they are just moving directly up the stairs. And the change will be good for them - new friends, new year. But all I know is that I'm going to miss each of those little girls every single time I visit my section.

Good luck in Fatima girls, but to me, you will always be my little Angelitos :).

No comments:

Post a Comment