Monday, June 20, 2011

DON’T EAT THAT

Last Wednesday Katie, Meghan, and I went up to the comedor to grab lunch – rice, beans, and carrots…pretty standard. But when we were walking out of the comedor, Yeimy (the librarian) ran up to Katie, whispered something in her ear, and then ran to sit down again. On the way out, Meghan and I started nibbling on our carrots until Katie told us “Don’t eat that.” Turns out, there were little beechos (aka beetles) in our lunch! (Don’t worry – not in the carrots!) When we got home we examined our plates a bit closer and, sure enough, they were covered in dead little baby beetles. They were so tiny, that if I hadn’t been told, I would have mistaken them for herbs and spices….which two of the other volunteers had already done and had eaten the whole thing… and which also begs the question…how many times has this happened since we’ve been here…and how many baby beechos have I already eaten??

I guess it’s no surprise why I just had parasites for the third time since being here…

1 comment: