Monday, June 27, 2011

Excursión de Básico

Last Thursday (June 16) all of the teachers went on an excursion with the students of Básico to Esquintla, an area of Guatemala about an hour and a half south of us, to hang out, relax, and go swimming! A few of the teachers had been to this finca (farm) before and agreed it would be a great place for the kids – swimming pools, tons of open land to play on, basketball courts, lots of walking paths through a forest/jungle, and located on a river – perfect!

We set out at 8 am in 3 buses and arrived, drenched in sweat, and ready for some fun. I’m not going to lie – at first I was incredibly nervous. I mean, most of our kids don’t know how to swim and the pool was fairly deep (and the current in the river pretty strong), but once we got there, I knew it would be a great day to just relax and hang out with our kids (and amazingly most of them could reach the bottom of the pool – perfect!) We spent the day wandering around the jungle (after crossing the world’s most rickety/scary bridge), swimming in the river and pools, and eating what were supposed to be hamburgers… (and I also spent the time reading Bridal magazines – thanks for the latest one mom :) and answering questions about my favorite topic – my wedding! Woo!) Overall it was a really relaxing day and a lot of fun :).

The world's most rickety bridge...

Martin swimming in the river

Iris, Odelia, and Daniela

Hanging out by the pool

Corinna and I walking in the jungle!

No comments:

Post a Comment