Friday, June 10, 2011

Projects in June

A few weeks back we got our June assignments for projects. When we find out what projects we have, we’re each given a sheet of paper with the all the kids’ info (their name, in what section they’re in, and sometimes their age/birth date). If it is a larger family (aka 5 kids or more) or the project involves any of the “especiales” who live in the Castillo Mágico then 2 volunteers are needed and there is only one sheet written up for the two volunteers together. This month I didn’t get any volunteer sheets, meaning I had 2 shared projects, and I was eager to see who my projects were with! Thayer told me that we would have project together with Magdalena (from my section) and her brother, Juan Carlos, who lives in the castillo. Both of them have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and are QUITE the handful, but regardless I was excited to have project with them :). Alright – one down one to go…but what about my other project? I asked nearly all the volunteers if I had project with them and they all said no…interesting… I finally tracked down Meghan (the volunteer in charge of projects) when she had her computer to find out about my second project and…turns out…she never assigned me one! I had been looking for a paper that didn’t exist! Instead, Meghan gave me a “freebie” for my last project! Crazy to think – my last project! So! After all that searching, Magdalena and Juan Carlos became my last project…and it was one of my favorite projects that I’d had all year :).

Magda can be a handful on her own. Now add her brother who loves to scratch, hit, sometimes bite, and absolutely LOVES to steal my glasses and throw them on the ground – definitely a combination…so it was with excitement and some apprehension that I went into our project.

Magdalena told us that she wanted to bake a cake and play cards, so the 4 of us headed to the English Department to make our glorious creation :).

Magdalena, Thayer, and Juan Carlos making the cake!

Working on the cake!

Working hard!

After mixing the batter, Thayer went to put the cake in the oven and things got a bit chaotic. Juan Carlos started grabbing anything he could get his hands on, Magda started wandering around taking things off the shelf and that was my cue to say “We’re going on the swings!” The three of us then headed outside to hang out on the swings, sing “The Wheels on the Bus” and shout as loud as we could. The cake was done about 30 minutes later and we all sat outside in the shade eating, talking, and taking pictures. After, we headed back onto the swings where we looked for animals in the clouds for a solid 30 minutes – it was very laid back, a lot of fun and one of my favorite projects I’ve had since being here. Overall it was a great way to finish one of my favorite parts of working at NPH - family projects :).

Juan Carlos and Magda :)

No comments:

Post a Comment