Wednesday, June 8, 2011

¡Me toca!

Cassie, my wonderful and dear friend, came to Guatemala last July with me…and decided she was going to teach herself the guitar. She practiced at least an hour every day and wouldn’t ya know – she really did become an amazing guitar player within just a few months! After being here a while, she decided to have a go at playing in public at a restaurant in Antigua called Rainbow Café. She started playing there a few months back, having fun and making some extra money. A few weeks ago Cass asked me if I wanted to join her at Rainbow to sing a song or two. I was elated! The last time I’d performed anything in public had been our final Intonations concert at the end of my Senior year of college and that was two years ago! (aaaannnnnnd wow now I feel old…)

On that Thursday, Cassie, Bridget, and I headed to Rainbow for a delicious dinner at the café and then greeted all the volunteers as they came. Out of a group of 23, about 18 volunteers came to cheer on Cassie (it was her last time performing there…) and maybe me too :).

Cassie playing guitar

Cassie played, per usual, like a champ. I was so nervous to sing with her but it all went off without a hitch! After practicing for almost a week we sang two songs together “Nantes” by Beirut and “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele. It was sooooooo much fun – I was incredibly grateful to have the chance to sing in front of people again and I always appreciate a good singing partner – thanks Cass!

Me and Cass!

No comments:

Post a Comment