Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween!

So for those of you who may not know…Halloween is my FAVORITE holiday. Free candy, carving pumpkins, scaring the bee-gee-bees out of little kids, autumn leaves and weather, dressing up like idiots – WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?? While this year’s festivities were slightly overshadowed by my return to Guatemala, we still went out to celebrate in style :).


Our *fabulous* pumpkin that was quickly devoured by vicious squirrels...

Now I have 4 rules about Halloween costumes: 1. You should ALWAYS use things that you already have. 2. The costume is in the DETAILS. It’s ok to buy little pieces that will make your costume POP but NEVER the whole costume. 3. You should always dress comfortably for where you’re going and the weather. 4. NEVER EVER EVER dress like a whore. Now I know that a LOT of people like to break all 4 of those rules and buy costumes from the store. But NOT ME. In addition, my costumes usually have a kid friendly theme (in the past few years I have been Minnie Mouse, a troll doll, a piñata…you get the idea…) SO. THIS YEAR I decided to go as a marionette doll…a COWGIRL marionette doll. Jon helped me gather all the supplies I needed between our 2 houses and after a LOT of string and pipe cleaners, I was ready to go!

Jon’s costume wasn’t so easy. We threw out a BAJILLION ideas – pumpkin? Crayon? Gangster? Jelly beans? But all to no avail. We headed to the Halloween store and well…here’s what we ended up with…


Looking a little creepy...


Looking cute as always...


Jon and I ready to head out for the night!

Using our friend Chris’s pants, his own t-shirt, and a vest owned by my brother (it makes sense I promise – he used to work on a cruise ship…) Jon was able to pull together his look using only a few accessories AND following my rules :).

After getting all dolled up (haha doll – get it??) we headed over to Greg’s and then out to Finnley’s. Even though a few tears did creep in there every now and then (I mean, come on – I was moving back to a foreign country…) it was a pretty good night.

2 comments:

  1. 1. You did not own hot pink sweatpants before Halloween 2008.
    2. Pink pants + pink jewel + pink, spiked up hair = whole costume, not just details.
    3. Sports bra in October? Umm ok....
    4. See above.

    Haha, just kidding. I love you! And I love you as a troll too.

    Also, I too threw out about 29323208 ideas for Scott's Halloween costume and he went with "scottish golfer" -- two things he already is. Boys are lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. yes i bought the sweatpants. they were comfy and i continued to wear them after halloween (therefore still functionable). you can attest to that. you know you were embarassed to be with me when i wore them.
    2. i already owned the sweatshirt, sports bra, water bottle, and paper owned to make the jewel. only the pants and hairspray were purchased.
    3. I WORE A ZIP UP HOODIE OVER IT.
    4. ? you know i'm right.

    love you :)

    ReplyDelete