Saturday, November 6, 2010

Proyecto Amistad

This morning I was SUPPOSED to have a project with 3 boys – 2 from here (Maykol (Michael) and Marvin) and 1 from bachillerato (Melvin). I called the bachillerato on Tuesday to confirm that Melvin would come to the home from the bachillerato and ended up having a VERY long conversation with the (extremely confused) gentleman who works there. After explaining we would be having project here, I hung up, satisfied that I had done my job.

Today I woke up and headed upstairs to find the boys. Normally a fairly difficult task for project (sometimes they’re in the section, sometimes they’re working, sometimes their hanging out in another section, or cleaning the comedor, or in the farm…you name it) it took me only about 5 minutes to find the 2 of them. I then proceeded to call the bachillerato to make sure that Melvin was on his way. I called the SAME man I had talked to on Tuesday who told me “Melvin? I don’t know what you’re talking about…we don’t have a Melvin here, but when do you want to go to Antigua?”

WHAT??? When did I EVER mention the words “bus”, “going”, “transport”, OR “Antigua” in our first conversation!??? My Spanish might still need SOME help but this was ridiculous!! After another (much more unsuccessful) phone conversation with Profe Julio, I hung up and decided there was no way Melvin knew about the project. Que lastima. Instead, Maykol, Marvin and I headed to the English room to make a pizza (ham, pepper, and onion with red pepper flakes and fresh basil – SO delicious!) and watch a movie (Hitch). While I went downstairs to put the pizza in, the boys found the only 3 videos on my computer – Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” (the full 13 minute version), “Beep” by the Pussycat Dolls, and “Don’t Tell Me” by Madonna…when asked what was their favorite?? “ugh…the one with the pretty girls!” shocking.

Anyhoo, after quite the tumultuous start, we ended up with a delicious pizza and an excellent movie :).


The boys working hard :)


Our DELICIOUS pizza!


Marvin and Maykol

No comments:

Post a Comment