Thursday, November 11, 2010

Project and Despedida rolled into one

Last night I had a project with a set of cousins, Adele and Edgar. I left to find them around 4:45, had NO problem finding Adele...and then couldn't find Edgar for a good hour and a half...In the meantime, Adele and I made our pizza and put it in the oven and then went out to search for Edgar again in the comedor at dinner time.

All of the kids were standing in formation, receiving their nightly news and then I suddenly remembered...that last night was Katie and Leeah's despidada (going away celebration).

When volunteers leave every six months there is a HUGE celebration to end their time here...but when volunteers leave in the middle, like now, the celebration is a much quieter and more somber affair...Jan, our director at the home, and Erika, our volunteer coordinator, both said nice little speeches about the girls and presented them with wall hangings made by the kids here...I'm not ready for them to go...I'm going to miss them both a lot.


Katie and Leeah on our trip to El Salvador


Moving on! After the despedida Adele and I FINALLY found Edgar in the comedor, and the 3 of us headed back to the English room to enjoy our pizza and a movie...again...Hitch - yes that makes 3 times I've seen that movie in the last 4 days. AWESOME. Unfortunately our pizza didn't turn out even HALF as good as my last pizza had...I forgot the butter to grease the pan and so we really just ended up with a sticky, messy disaster of a pizza. However, even thought it didn't look amazing, it tasted pretty wonderful (especially knowing everyone else was eating beans for dinner!) I think I'm gunna have to start making pizzas more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment