Friday, May 13, 2011

An Interesting Way of Doing Things

Here in Guatemala I feel like we always have an interesting way of doing things… On Monday I hopped in our shower at lunch time – the perfect time to shower: plenty of hot water, nobody waiting in line, and lots of free time (as teachers we get almost 2 hours free for lunch…) But for some reason the shower was scalding hot. I tried to shower like normal but I couldn’t aguantar the heat (I just couldn’t deal!) I finally turned off the water and yelled for Katie to check our other shower to see if it was really hot too, but alas, the other shower was just a trickle of cold water, even when turned on at full force. Resigned, I tried to turn the shower back on…but there was no water! I kept turning the knob but only a small stream of water fell, and now that was cold too. I was so confused and I still needed to wash my hair!

Now when I was little and didn’t feel like washing my hair, my mom would just bring the shampoo and conditioner down to the kitchen and we’d wash my hair in the sink. So I thought…why not? The difference?

Our sink here is outside. And everyone from the office to the clinic to the school can see you.

Regardless, I gathered the bottles and headed to the Pila out back. I shampooed and conditioned my hair and then headed back inside. Problem temporarily solved! Yet there we were: two showers and not-a-one worked (they have since both been fixed - hooray!) It’s still the little things that baffle me about this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment