Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Going to School!

Last week I was looking for one of my students, Pichi, to tutor him in English. Every afternoon Pichi works in Herrería, the metal workshop, and in the afternoons I’m *supposed* to tutor him (stars because it has yet to happen…) Regardless! Last Monday I went to the Herrería looking for Pichi and he was nowhere to be found. Instead, I talked to and hung out with his teacher, Profe Giovani. I think Profe is one of the coolest people I’ve met in Guatemala – he’s incredibly sweet, down-to-earth, loves the volunteers, always has a smile on his face, and has a HUGE interest in learning English. In fact, one of the other volunteers, Meghan, has been trading English classes for metalwork classes for the past few months.

Well! Last week when I was there, Profe Giovani asked me if I would like to do the same! This past Monday I walked to the Herrería after lunch and got right to work! First, he had me look through books of pictures so I could see what types of items I could make. After settling on a few different designs to work on over the next few weeks, he took me outside to grab some metal and began my lesson :). This week I learned to cut and bend the metal…so while I didn’t make the whole thing…it’s just the beginning. I decided I would make a little golf player for my dad :). Unfortunately, Profe didn’t know what a golfer was supposed to look like (HANDS TOGETHER!) So instead of looking like a golfer…he kind of just looks like someone who wants to beat you with a golf club haha!

My first creation :-p

Needless to say but, sorry Dad, I’ll make you something better after I get a good grasp on things! Next week I’m going to learn to solder for myself so that I can make all my own creations :). Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment