Monday, May 16, 2011

May Projects

This past week I had both of my projects for May – woo! After spending HOURS tracking down each of the 7 children separately, I ended up with *almost* complete projects! Hooray!

However, even after finding all the kids and their tias, talking about projects and what we would do, of COURSE there were still a few glitches... Thursday I walked to Parramos during lunch to pick up some fruits and veggies. On the way home I ran into Sindy, whom I had project with. “Sindy – where ya going? We have project in an hour…”

Sindy: “Oh. Oops. I forgot. I’m going to Chimal to buy stuff with my tia!”

Major bummer. I was really looking forward to having project with all the girls, but instead it was just going to be me, Sucely, and Estefania. I walked down to the section to find them both at 4 pm. I found Estefania in her section and she told me she just needed to change her clothes and she’d be at the English Department soon. After that, I went to Sucely’s section and was told she was in the library. So I walked from the sections up to the library….and didn’t find her. I then proceeded to walk back down to the sections…still not finding either one. Then I realized – idiot me – that I didn’t have the right pizza pan! SO! I went back down to the volunteer houses, found one, washed it, went back up to English – still no girls. I went BACK down to the sections and STILL didn’t find them! I was told they were in the library. WHAT??? I went to the library. NO GIRLS. FINALLY I ran into Sucely when I was going back down to the section…again. We went back to English and decided to start the pizza (since neither of us had any idea where Estefania was...) Roughly 5 minutes later Estefania arrived. After that, project went off without a hitch! We watched “Ramona and Beezus” (GREAT children’s movie if you haven’t seen it) and ate delicious pizza! Project complete!

Sucely and Estefania making a pizza!

How adorable :)

My project on Sunday went a little bit smoother than the first one… I walked up to the English Department to put my things down…and all the kids were already upstairs cleaning! I walked around, told them all to come to English, and we got to work on our cake :)

Gaspar and Sebastian making the cake!

The only one who didn’t show up was coming from Bachillerato. I had tried calling at least 2 times a day, every day for the past week, and the tia in charge of the section never responded…so imagine my surprise when I came back from getting the cake out of the oven to see all 4 kids sitting in the English room watching “The Karate Kid!” Sweet surprise! And the family was absolutely adorable to boot. They got along insanely well and really seemed to enjoy each other’s company – always a nice treat for a family project :).

Gaspar, Sebastian, Petrona, and Dominga

All of us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment