Saturday, May 14, 2011

Los Tres Chiflados

I have come to realize that I do not need to plan for my año de servicio class. While we started with 7 students and a whole lot of grammar lessons, the class has finally settled at 3 – Francis, Elmer, and Jonathan – honestly, 3 of my favorite “kids” at NPH. I say kids in quotes because they’re basically just my friends, ranging in age from 19-23, and our class has just turned into a “hang-out and talk about our lives” session. In the past few weeks our conversations have been about: school, plans for the future, significant others (we got some REALLY juicy stuff during that one!), and most recently, bucket lists.

The two boys were on my computer on Tuesday during our class and noticed my “New Year’s Resolution” list, where I mention that I plan to complete #1 on my bucket list this year, wherein they asked what a bucket list was…so I explained and then showed them my own. They had a great time translating all the different phrases like “drive across country,” and “get Lasik eye surgery” and all the countries that I want to visit, and especially, “get a tattoo.” Elmer was SO excited to see that on the list and he said “I want to get a tattoo, too!” after which of course I asked, “Of what?” And this is what he came back with - “Los tres chiflados.” What are the tres chiflados you ask?...

The Three Stooges (this is the exact tattoo that he wants)
...right...

Needless to say it lead to a long discussion about why you would get a tattoo and (on my part) the reasons why a tattoo should be something significant in your life…to which he replied… “Eh…what can I say? I like ‘em.”

No comments:

Post a Comment