Friday, October 8, 2010

BOOSH

Yesterday when I was sitting outside with my students, two of them were studying for an exam in their next class. The girl, Lucia, kept turning to Jorge and saying “BOOSH – que tienes por numero…” – aka “Boosh, what do you have for number…” After a few minutes of hearing this I turned to ask them what “Boosh” meant, as I had never heard it before. They both sat there laughing for a while without explaining. I asked if it meant the same thing as “Vos” which the kids here use to mean “you” but in a VERY relaxed way (think – only use it with close friends and siblings). Regardless I was confused.

After another few minutes of laughing, Jorge finally turned to me and said “you know, like your president…” again, me = confused. “My name is Jorge, your old president’s name was Jorge BOOSH, so some of my friends call me Boosh.” Well that was NOT the answer I was expecting! I wonder how George W would feel about that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment