Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tell me something I didn't know...

Every day in my Tercero Basico (the equivalent of 9th grade) my students write in their journals. They are allowed to write WHATEVER they want in English, I correct it, and give it back to them. For the last day of school, I asked the students to write whatever they wanted, either in English OR Spanish, telling me what they liked and didn’t like about the class, what they would change, and what they would keep. Most of the entries were very sweet and about how the children really enjoyed this class, how they felt they learned a lot, etc. And then there was Ever’s. He didn’t have much to say and some of it WAS nice…some of it…

One of the smartest kids in my class and a member of the Liderazgo (leadership group), he wrote: “tienes que aprender más español porque casi no entiendes el español o lo que hablamos.” Translation? “You need to learn more Spanish because you almost never understand our Spanish, or what we say.” I thought I WAS learning more! As if I didn’t know that I hardly ever understand you. THANKS EVER – I’M WORKING ON IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment