Saturday, October 2, 2010

Día del Niño

So after waking up at 4:30 to sing Las Mañanitas and going back to bed and sleeping for another 2 hours, it was finally time for Día del Niño! Now, NORMALLY Guatemalan time is approximately 30 minutes to an hour and a half BEHIND the time that things are scheduled for. If you have a meeting at 10 am – you can bet that your meeting won’t start until AT LEAST 10:45. But I had a feeling that this day was going to be different. We were instructed to be in front of the office to get on the buses at 8 am. I showed up at 8:05 and the buses were fully loaded, ready to take off! By 8:15 we were on our way – it was like some parallel westernized universe!!

We took the buses a little bit past Antigua (a rather large, touristy town about 30 minutes away) and headed to a farm for the day. The day started off raining rather hard. Eventually the rain subsided and, while it was still pretty cold, the weather didn’t seem to deter any of the kids from all the fun activities surrounding them.

The “farm” as it was called had lots of open space, 3 swimming pools (VERY cold yet FULL of kids), a trampoline, around 5 or 6 games to play with TONS of prizes, not to mention delicious snacks (each of the kids was given a chocolate and vanilla popsicle, a bag of cotton candy (!), a bag of chips, and a can of coke – they were a little cracked out to say the least…). The kids were then given free rein to do whatever they wanted from 9 am until 4 pm.

I spent a lot of the day learning more kid’s names and being quizzed by Leeah and hanging out with BABIES!! I must say I LOVE hanging out with the baby’s house – they are just SO freaking adorable! We tried to decide who the cutest baby in the house was, and we couldn’t make up our minds – they are just that cute. We also spent a solid 20-30 minutes putting the babies on the trampoline by themselves and watching them fall down and laugh and smile – absolutely 100% adorable.

Besides all the games, trampolines, snacks, and pools, the tios also began an awesome game of jump rope (don’t worry, I was totally in the center of the action for that…), there were tons of soccer games, and of course, delicious carne asada, potatoes, and refried beans (SO much more delicious than whole beans…I can’t even tell you…). In addition, all the trabajadores (workers) from the office dressed up as clowns (kind of…) and offered face painting! I thought it would be really sweet to get my face painted to I asked for a mariposa (butterfly). What I got was a HUGE heap of red paint on my face that was INCREDIBLY itchy and looked ridiculous. I kept it for a while but eventually couldn’t take it anymore and HAD to get rid of it. Only one problem. I’m fairly certain they used “crazy super ridiculous, never come off, indelible ink” face paint. Smart choice for a kid’s carnival…

Lucky for me, one of the tias in my section had brought toilet paper and body lotion with her, but after 20 minutes of scrubbing I had exhausted all of my patience and, while the butterfly was no longer visible, instead I was left with a bright red face! (Of course there was no soap or mirrors anywhere so I had to rely on other people to tell me where to scrub…) Anyway, another 30 minutes later, my face was left only a shade or two pinker than normal and I could get away with not looking like a tomato. Problem solved. And good thing too, because the volunteer’s dance was the first presentation of the day!

Our dance went off with only a few minor music glitches (mostly just lack of communication – OH MY that NEVER happens here!) Anyway, after the music situation was worked out, it was PHENOMENAL (at least from my point of view!) I had a blast dancing and I think the kids really enjoyed the effort we put into our show. After our presentation came one from: the office, the baby’s house, the girl’s house, the teachers, and finally the boy’s house. Unfortunately not every group stuck to the 10 minute limit that we were given, but the whole show turned out really well and the kids seemed to really enjoy it…and that’s what it’s all about :). Feliz Día del Niño!


A bunch of the kids swimming in the pool...


Bryan and Auri hanging out on the picnic table


Tony and the other babies jumping on the trampoline!


Christy from accounting (aka the wonderful lady that gives us our money...) doing facepainting :)


All of the tias in their costumes for their dances

No comments:

Post a Comment