Saturday, July 16, 2011

Despedidas abound

When I started thinking about leaving NPH, I thought about the despedida that I was going to have, and the big one that the house would throw us. Yup. 2 would suffice. The problem was, I forgot that despedidas are a REALLY big thing here. So instead of the two that I planned I had EIGHT: the one I planned with the section, the one Corinna planned with our section, the one with my año de servicio class, a surprise one in my tercero class, a surprise one from my section, a surprise one from the school, the large despedida for everyone, and then of course, my actual goodbyes.

On Wednesday my tercero class took it upon themselves to throw me a little party – complete with a HUGE cake and soda! It was beyond adorable and it was the first time I’d thought about leaving and let the tears really flow. They had planned so much for me – one of the boys, Alexander, played the guitar and sang a song we learned in class (Jack Johnson’s “Do You Remember?”), some of my students gave me homemade goodies, a few of the kids put on a skit (making fun of my ridiculous antics in class), AND I finally got something I’d waited all year for – a mordida! (aka when they shove your face in cake!) I was sooooooooo upset that I didn’t have my camera in class! It was an unbelievable class and I was so grateful for everything they put into making that day so special for me :).

Wednesday night Corinna and I were asked to go to the section for a “surprise”…I wonder what it could be… we arrived at the section and were whisked into the sala to watch the girls perform a dance. Normally the kids do a special dance at the large despedida that’s for the whole house, so it was a little strange to see them perform the day before, but absolutely adorable. A lot of times our girls get stage fright, so it was so cute to see them doing the dance in a place they felt comfortable. They then sat us down in a big circle and the girls told us what they were going to miss about us, before being given tostadas for snack. In addition, the girls decorated banners for us that they later gave to us at the house’s despedida. SO adorable :).

Next came our despedida from the school on Thursday. AKA, by FAR the most random one, wherein the teachers all prepared items for a pot luck lunch (read: LOTS of tostadas) and then presented us with beautiful leather bags – it was SUCH a nice surprise!

Last came the house’s despedida yesterday. Definitely the one I was not looking forward to. The despedidas are a nice way for the kids to be able to express themselves, but they are also long and quite painful (ESPECIALLY if you’re leaving). Our was no exception. While it was great to see all the kids doing their thing and dedicating their songs or dances or skits to certain volunteers, it was also just a sad event to be a part of. I’m very glad I don’t have to do that again anytime soon.

Now just a few more goodbyes to go…the rest of the volunteers – aka my closest friends here…and I can certainly tell you it’s a despedida I’m dreading.

No comments:

Post a Comment