Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hasta Pronto :)

The day has finally come. After over a year of living in Guatemala and working at NPH, it’s July 16. A year has gone by in the blink of an eye. It’s hard to believe that it’s over. It seems like just yesterday I arrived, bright-eyed and eager to meet and know every child at NPH. In a few short hours I’ll hop in the transport and take a ride through Parramos to the capital for the last time. It’s not a journey that I’m looking forward to, but I also believe it’s my time to move on. Being in Guatemala has taught me so much about myself – who I am, what I enjoy, how I work with others, what I think I want to do when I “grow up.” It has been insanely difficult. I have had more ups and downs in this year than I’ve probably had in my whole life up until this point. Yet it has all been worth it. When I get in that transport I won’t be thinking about the negatives – the frustration and the lack of communication. I’ll be thinking about all the good memories, like earlier tonight – all the hugs I received, the support I’ve felt from so many newly found friends here, and all the love that I have experienced in Guatemala. After a year here, it’s time to head back to the United States. And despite all the ups and downs, I don’t regret a thing. I’m happy that I was able to accomplish some of my biggest goals in life and proud of myself for sticking it out and for everything that I did this year. I hope to find myself back in the beautiful land that I have called home for the past year sometime soon, but until then, cuidate Guatemala. Te voy a extrañar y te quiero mucho.

No comments:

Post a Comment