Wednesday, July 6, 2011

MY DESPEDIDA!

After being in Guatemala for a full year, it was finally time for the event that I had probably been dreading most all year – my own despedida, or going away party. It’s not that I didn’t want to spend time with my girls or do something fun and creative with them….it was more the fact that despedidas have kind of become a big deal to all the kids over the years. Just imagine: a rotating schedule of volunteers that come and go every 6 months – each trying to do something memorable, important, and lasting…so that their kids will always remember them. Not only that, but the kids start asking you about your despedida after you've only been here for about 2 months...so you can say it's kind of a big deal. That is a LOT of pressure to put on someone right before they’re about to say goodbye to everyone and everything they’ve known for the last year…

Regardless of being slightly intimidated, I had decided long ago that I wanted to do an art project for my despedida. I had seen lots of different ideas: taking your kids out to eat, doing a barbeque, going swimming at Aguas Calientes, ordering in/making pizzas, etc. But personally (although I hadn’t participated in any of them…) my favorite was Carrie’s. She bought felt and stuffing in Antigua and made pillowcases with her girls…that they all still have sitting on their beds or in their lockers. It was also awesome because the girls got to spend time with her in the section … aka the place they all know the best… while getting a wonderful gift out of it too - ergo the awesome craft plan :).

Thursday afternoon Corinna and I showed up at the section around 4 to set everything up. I hadn’t told the girls anything, beside the fact that we were bringing down food from the comedor (I didn’t want them to be excited about the party and then all of a sudden disappointed by the lack of pizza…) After a LOT of coaxing, MOST of the girls made their way into the living room so that we could set up my craft – PICTURE FRAMES! When I had gone to the states I spent a TON of time with my mom in Michael’s wandering up and down the rows searching for the perfect craft – and there it was – so simple! Corinna and I spent about 30 minutes setting up the: picture frames, paint, glitter pens, glue, feathers, sequins (hearts, stars, circles, etc), and my grandmother’s buttons (an awesome last minute addition :).)

When the girls came out of the sala they were awed. I think it was the first time I’d seen a few of them be quiet…and the first time I had successfully SURPRISED them with something! They were so shocked/excited to work on them. AMAZING! And then came the questions:

“Are these for pictures?” “Do we get to keep them?” “Are we going to get a picture to put in them?” “Can I put hearts on mine?”

After all the questions were sufficiently answered, the girls got right to work – the 21 in my section, along with the 5 who had already moved up to the next section, Fatima (Enma, Teresa, Mariela, Lourdes, and Esmeralda), and our 2 año de servicios, Natalie and Andrea.

After decorating the frames, the tias brought down dinner from upstairs…and then I had another trick up my sleeve…ICE CREAM SUNDAESSSSSSSS! I had 3 kinds of ice cream (chocolate, vanilla, and cookies and cream), caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, AND sprinkles. The girls had never seen sprinkles before and you honestly would have thought I gave them crack. Seriously. They went ballistic over all the little sugary colors! They ate their ice cream and stole my camera to take a bunch of wacky photos (see below)…We then all sat/lied down to watch the newest Disney movie, Rio, and I gave them the pictures I’d printed of each of them to put in their frames.

While I had been quite anxious about my despedida, I don’t think it could have turned out better (well…maybe with a few more “pleases” and “thank yous”…) Other than that – the girls LOVED the craft and the sundaes were a HUGE hit. It was a great final project to have with my girls to commemorate our year together :).

The girls getting started...

Working hard

Glenda!


Kimberli concentrating VERY hard

Josefa with her finished project!

Luvia - look at all those hearts!

Me with Andrea

Elvira and Mariela

with Rosa!

Me, Linda, and Lucia :)

Most of the frames!

With two of the old girls from my section, Mariela and Enma :)

Raquel, Lupe, and Vilma

Ana and Mariela getting a little crazy...

Dancing up a storm

Enjoying their sundaes and watching "Rio"

1 comment:

  1. SO CUTE!!! also, i just almost cried. do my girls all really still have their pillows?? <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete