Thursday, July 14, 2011

Passport Acquired

On Tuesday I had to make my final trip to the capital to pick up my passport. I had had it dropped off almost a week earlier at immigration (so that I would no longer be an illegal alien in Guatemala…) and was terrified of going to pick it up again. What if I couldn’t get it back? What if I needed to pay a fine? What if they just didn’t want to give it to me? What if I had to wait more than 3 days? SO MANY CONCERNS.

I got to immigration around 9 am, went inside, received my passport on the 2nd floor, and then was told I needed to pay a multa (fine) on the 4th floor. I went to the 4th floor to get my paperwork, then down to the 1st floor to actually pay at the bank and make more copies of my passport. From there it was back to the 2nd floor to show them my paperwork, before back up to the 4th floor to get my paperwork from the bank stamped. After that I had to go back to the 2nd floor to get my passport stamped, saying that I could stay in the country for 5 more days. After another TWO HOURS of waiting for ONE STAMP (and thank heaven no more visits to the staircase) I FINALLY got my passport back. Which means I'm coming home on Saturday!! Does anyone wonder why all the volunteers hate making that trip every 6 months???

No comments:

Post a Comment